“Now is the time to reduce poverty in Ontario!” The October 24th, 2008 25 in 5 forum held at Cambridge City Hall was one of many taking place across Ontario. Showcasing the “25 in 5 Declaration on Poverty Reduction” Peter Clutterbuck delivered the keynote address calling on the Government of Ontario to reduce poverty by 25% in 5 years and 50% over 10 year. The event was co-hosted by The Social Planning Council of Kitchener Waterloo, the Social Planning Council of Cambridge and North Dumfries and Opportunities Waterloo Region and featured a diverse panel of community representatives. Videos provided by the Social Planning Council of Kitchener Waterloo.
Key Note Speaker
- History of the anti-poverty movement
- Provincial track record on poverty
- Introduction of the 25 in 5
- Building of a coalition
- 25 in 5 goals
- How we have been moving forward
- The consultation period
- 3 major themes emerging from consultations and community meetings
- How to reduce poverty in Ontario
- Jobs, wages, housing, education, transportation
- Now is the time for a multiyear plan, policy action and more!